Sunday, 9 March 2014

The everyday sexism project


Only recently I've been thinking more about how much women still suffer from sexism. I realised it can be so small it's almost unnoticeable and we just sit back and let it happen to us. That's what I've been doing. Subtle remarks, usually about sexuality, or just men automatically thinking they know best and we haven't got a clue. I wasn't noticing it because it was so so subtle but as soon as I started paying attention, I did notice it. And I noticed how strongly present sexism towards women still is.

Every woman suffers from it. Whether you know it or not, there's no helping it, it's everywhere. While we have come on in bounds since the days where women had no voice, that voice is still mocked and laughed at. Especially when it comes to sexism. Bringing it up in front of men either makes them extremely defensive, thinking they are being attacked, or they mock it. Of course there are some who agree and could hold their own in a pro-feminist conversation. The other two responses just aren't acceptable. 

Everyone needs to take sexism seriously and not treat it as a joke. But equally not attack people about it. Right now the best way to move forward with it is to stop people fearing talking about it. Or mocking it. And the way to do that is by making talking about it the norm and having general discussions about it to make everyone more aware.

What NOT to do is fight sexism with sexism. It's like this quote I saw on a t-shirt "fighting for peace is like fucking for virginity".

1 comment:

  1. My dissertation is based on sexism within a particular organisation. Crazy to think it still happens!

    xx

    ReplyDelete

Comments are my most favourite thing ever so please stop and say hi :)